The Rhodes Trust Scholarship (Postgraduate) Application 2023-2024
The Rhodes Trust Scholarship (Postgraduate) Application
About The Rhodes Trust Scholarship (Postgraduate)
- The Rhodes Scholarship helps outstanding young people pursue postgraduate studies at the University of Oxford while also encouraging lifelong learning and fellowship.
- The Rhodes Scholarship is the world’s oldest (first awarded in 1902) and possibly most prestigious international scholarship program, allowing exceptional young people from all over the world to study at the University of Oxford.
Rhodes Selection Committees are looking for young people of outstanding intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service.
The four criteria which governed the selection of Rhodes Scholars in 1902 are still the guiding criteria for the selection of Rhodes Scholars:
- Literary and scholastic attainments (academic excellence)
- Energy to use one’s talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved)
- Truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness, and fellowship
- The moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings.
What The Rhodes Trust Scholarship (Postgraduate) covers
- In the first instance, the Rhodes Scholarship is for two years. The Rhodes Scholarship pays for tuition at Oxford University (and College) as well as an annual stipend. The stipend for the 2021/22 academic year will be £17,310 per year (£1,442.50 per month), from which Scholars will cover all living expenses, including housing. Please keep in mind that this does not cover partners or dependents.
- The detailed Conditions of Tenure document outlines the permitted combinations of degrees as well as how many years of study are covered by the Scholarship, as the latter is dependent on course choice – for example, Scholars who choose to pursue a DPhil (Ph.D.) at Oxford can receive up to three years of fees and stipend.
- The Rhodes Trust will reimburse the application fee to study at the University of Oxford if you are selected for the Scholarship. The Trust will cover the cost of a Tier 4 study visa as well as the International Health Surcharge (IHS), which allows international students to use the NHS in the UK. For the start and finish of their studies in Oxford, the Rhodes Trust will pay two economy class flights to and from the UK.
- Scholars receive a settling in payment (£250 in 2020-21) when they arrive in Oxford. Scholars who transfer to the second course of study in Oxford will be eligible for financial aid to cover the cost of visa renewal and a new application for IHS.
- On application, a number of research funds are available to Rhodes Scholars, allowing them to attend foreign conferences or perform further fieldwork.
How to Apply