NRF iThemba LABS Bursary Application 2023-2024
NRF iThemba LABS Bursary Application
About NRF iThemba LABS Bursary
- Through funding, the provision of National Research Facilities, and science outreach platforms and programs to the broader community, the National Research Foundation (NRF) supports and promotes research and human capital development in all fields of science and technology, including natural science, engineering, social science, and humanities.
- The NRF administers the iThemba Laboratory for Accelerator-Based Sciences, which is a collection of multidisciplinary research labs. These facilities, which are located in the Western Cape and Gauteng, provide for • Basic and applied particle beam research • Particle radiation for cancer treatment • The provision of accelerator-produced radionuclides for medical and industrial use.
Fields of study
iThemba LABS will be awarding bursaries within the following fields of study:
- Electrical Engineering (BEng/ BTech/ National Diploma)
- Electronic Engineering (BEng)
- Mechanical Engineering (BEng)
- Mechatronics (BEng)
Required documents when applying for the bursary
- D document (certified copy)
- Matric certificate (certified copy)
- Latest academic record/ transcript on tertiary institutions letterhead (certified copy)
Before applying, applicants must meet the following minimum entry criteria (please note that if you do not meet all of the requirements, your application will be rejected):
- South African citizen
- Completed Matric
- Currently in the second year of study within one of the aforementioned fields
- Achieved a minimum average of 60% for the first year of study
- Strong academic record
- Studying at a recognized tertiary institution in South Africa
Timelines for new applications
December marks the submission deadline for fresh applications.
How to apply for the bursary
- Qualified and interested persons should follow the link below to start and complete the application process.
- iThemba LABS Bursary Application Form (.pdf)
- Applicants should add all the required documents as mentioned above. Applications that lack any of the supporting documents will be disregarded.