Groote Schuur Hospital Nursing School Application 2023-2024
Groote Schuur Hospital Nursing School Application
A brief history of Groote Schuur Hospital Nursing School
Groote Schuur is one of Cape Town’s most prestigious tertiary academic hospitals, having opened its doors in 1938. The hospital is well-known throughout the world for training some of South Africa’s greatest doctors, surgeons, and nurses. Groote Schuur will endeavor to deliver superior tertiary care for patients in the Western Cape and abroad as an academic health centre. The hospital will encourage teaching and research excellence. Our goal is to become Africa’s foremost academic hospital with international acclaim.
Entry Requirements to Groote Schuur Hospital Nursing School
For admission to higher certificate or diploma programs, prospective students must achieve the statutory minimum requirements based on the National Senior Certificate (NSC) or equivalent school leaving certificate, as well as the candidate’s educational certificate.
- Levels/symbols attained in Grade 12 June/September examinations or evidence that study leave is being processed by the current employer will be used to determine provisional admission. Final Grade 12 scores, confirmation that the application has been given study leave by the employer, and that the applicant has not reached the pensionable age (55-60) applicable to all college programs will be used to make the final choice to study at Lilitha College of Nursing.
- All specialized programs have their own set of criteria. The Admission Point System (APS) is used to assign point values to NSC or similar subjects:
|NSC Levels||NSC %||APS||APS %||Symbol|
Please keep in mind that admission requirements are subject to change, and the college will:
- Invest heavily in nurses for ECDoH facilities;
- Will not invest in candidates who have tried other avenues, such as dropped out of universities/technikons/colleges;
- Will not invest in candidates who have other qualifications. The candidate will be disqualified if this is uncovered at any point during the process.
Documents Required when applying to Groote Schuur Hospital Nursing School
- A copy of your academic credentials (eg Senior Certificate)
- (If appropriate) a copy of your official tertiary academic record(s) (internet copies will not be accepted)
- (RSA students) a copy of your ID document or your ID/passport (international students)
- A copy of your marriage certificate or divorce decree (if appropriate) (if applicable)
- If the documents are not in English or Afrikaans, sworn translations are required.
Couses offered at Groote Schuur Hospital Nursing School
- Post Basic/ Registration Diplomas: (R212)
- Child Nursing Science
- Community Nursing Science
- Clinical Assessment, Treatment, and Care
- Critical Nursing Science
- Operating Nursing Science
- Advanced Midwifery and Neonatal Care
- Orthopaedic Nursing Science
- Ophthalmic Nursing Science
- One Year Midwifery Nursing Science
- General Nursing Science (B/Course) R683
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing and Midwifery: R174
- Diploma in Nursing (Staff Nurse): R171
Tuition Fees for Groote Schuur Nursing School
Groote Schuur Hospital Nursing School fees is R4000 for Academic Session.
READ ALSO: Tygerberg Academic Hospital Nursing School
How to Apply to Groote Schuur Hospital Nursing School
- Go to Groote Schuur Hospital web page
- Proof of Registration Fee Payment (compulsory for SA and International applicants)
- Certified copy of your ID document (ID document is required for South African nationals; your application will not be processed until you provide a certified copy of your ID and your passport number for international applicants).
- Exam Outcomes: Grade 12 final results (if available). Your grade 11 scores (if you are currently in grade 12) are critical to your application. As a result, keep it on hand.
- When applying online or by mail, please note that you’ll need a unique email address.
If you are unable to apply online, you may send a physical application to the Admissions Office by printing the forms from the links below and mailing them to us.
Groote Schuur Hospital Nursing Contacts details
Main Rd, Observatory, Cape Town, 7935, South Africa
+27 21 404 9111